Time limited fortnightly $550 ‘coronavirus supplement’
For the next 6 months, the Government is introducing a new Coronavirus supplement to be paid at a rate of $550 per fortnight. This supplement will be paid to both existing and new recipients in the eligible payment categories.
The payment will be made to those receiving:
- Jobseeker payment (and those transitioning to the jobseeker payment)
- Youth allowance jobseeker
- Parenting payment
- Farm household allowance
- Special benefits recipients
In addition, eligibility to income support payments will be expanded to:
- Permanent employees who are stood down or lose their job
- Casual workers
- Sole traders
- The self-employed
- Contract workers who meet the income test
The Government notes that these criteria could include those required to care for someone affected by the Coronavirus.
Asset testing has also been reduced and will be waived for 6 months. Income testing will still apply.
The payment is not available if you have access to any employer entitlements such as annual or sick leave or income protection insurance.
Second $750 payment to households
The Government is now providing two separate $750 payments to social security, veteran and other income support recipients and eligible concession card holders residing in Australia (see the full list here). The payment will be exempt from taxation and will not count as income for the purposes of Social Security, Farm Household Allowance and Veteran payments.
- Payment 1 from 31 March 2020 (previously announced on 12 March): Available to people who are eligible payment recipients and concession card holders at any time between 12 March 2020 to 13 April 2020;
- Payment 2 from 13 July 2020: Available to people who are eligible payment recipients and concession card holders on 10 July 2020.
The payments will be made automatically to those that meet the criteria.
Temporary reduction in minimum superannuation draw down rates Superannuation minimum drawdown requirements for account-based pensions …