The ATO has warned taxpayers about common deductions that should not be claimed.
In a new guide, Don’t be a dummy with your deductions, the ATO lists ten items that are often claimed but probably shouldn’t be:
- Travel between home and work;
- Car expenses for transporting bulky tools and equipment;
- Salary packaged car expenses;
- Meal expenses while travelling;
- Travel that includes a private component;
- Cleaning costs for work clothes;
- Self-education costs;
- Phone and internet expenses; and
- Tools and equipment.
Every so often the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) sends a ‘shot across the bow’ warning …